- Playboy tries to save face...
- Playboy to Support Women's Rights Campaign
- Updated 7:57 AM ET April 24, 2000
- By Roxana Dascalu
- BUCHAREST (Reuters) - A controversy over an item in the Romanian edition
- Playboy magazine has helped local rights groups score precious points in
- their campaign to denounce violence against women in this macho Balkan
- Playboy's Chicago-based editors apologized to Romanian women for a story
- titled "How to Beat Your Wife Without Leaving Marks." Local
editors say they
- printed the story in April's issue of the magazine as an April Fools' Day
- "We got apologies from Playboy, plus promises that they will print
- to educate Romanian men against violence at home," local rights
- Oana Popa told Reuters on Monday.
- "Playboy also promised to fund shelters for battered women, and for
- projects to combat domestic violence," added Popa, head of the local
- of the U.S. Fulbright Foundation.
- Popa said local rights groups would protest later on Monday outside
- parliament in central Bucharest to draw public attention to the issue of
- domestic violence.
- Organizers have also invited the editors of Romanian Playboy to join the
- The editors of the Romanian version of FHM (For Him Magazine), which will
- launched by the VNU-Hearst group later this week, also said they would
- Monday's demonstration.
- According to local experts, Romania leads Balkan statistics for domestic
- violence against women, who have little legal protection in the
- Christine Hefner, chairman and CEO of Playboy Enterprises Inc., apologized
- for the story in the Romanian edition, which had a fictitious policeman
- blow-by-blow instructions to Romanian husbands on how to beat their wives
- without leaving marks.
- Local rights groups said those instructions were redolent of the methods
- used by the communist-era Securitate secret police to beat up dissenters.
- "This article flies in the face of Playboy's 46-year history of
- opposing any visual or editorial depiction of violence toward women,"
- said in a letter to Romanian rights groups, a copy of which was obtained
- "We do not condone it and will not tolerate it. The editor has been
- reprimanded and we apologize in the strongest terms to Romanian women for
- any anguish this ill-conceived 'satire' may have caused," she said.
- "Playboy Romania is a relatively new international edition...and it
- likely that its local editor did not thoroughly grasp the harm such an
- article could cause. This, however, does not excuse his profound lapse in
- >Playboy. Romania, April 2000, Anul 2, No. 4
- >How to beat your wife... without leaving prints.
- >1. Here is one of the modern man's problems! Most men have felt the
- impulse to pommel his wife's face, but even more men wonder what they will
- do if she goes to the Medico-Legal Institute. Certificate, trial, divorce,
- what else? Nasty! So, upon the request of an increasing number of readers,
- we asked for the advice of a specialist in the field: N.C.O. Gabor.
- >2. As a surgeon, you have to weigh each move. You have to be confident
- determined. You have decided to beat her up, then do it. Why? She knows
- Firstly, you stare at one piece of wife. It's best to get to her hair.
- you stick your hands in her hair. Necessary tools: a policeman's beating
- stick. If you do not have one, improvise. Suggestions: a pot stick, a
- washing-machine driving belt etc.
- >3. If you hold her well by her hair, the job is almost done; as she
- escape. Still, the operation is not over. You take a (kitchen) chopper
- will be applied slowly to the wife's livers. Once the chopper is fixed
- there, you only have to hit her with the stick. Hard and with a
- hatred; and most important: without fear! If you are afraid, you'd better
- quit. Take up knitting!
- >4. Hit hard and steady, since you do not know when you have a second
- chance. Even if she acts as if she screamed in pain, do not be afraid! It
- just a fake! The important thing is the way you hold the victim. At the
- beginning, given that you do not have experience, the girl will escape
- your "claws". In such circumstances, give her a little extra at
the end. So
- that she is accustomed to it.
- >5. After the beating, you only have to watch. She will swear like hell
- will threaten you with divorce, court, alimony and all kind of non-sense.
- But when she looks around at the deed's place, in search for prints and
- bruises that will be good for a trial, surprise!!! Not even a print. The
- beating must not last more than 10-15 minutes.
- >Here is the end. Confronted with such a work of art, the wife will
- certainly be impressed. Only experts can beat so awfully nice. On the
- hand, you will notice that the wife sometimes wants to be beaten up again.
- As one says in an academic language: "Boy, she is really looking for
- beating, mother fucker!" Good luck and have a harmonious marriage!
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- web: http://www.anu.edu.au/~a112465/profem.html
- (fwd from Chris)
- This man was featured on the America's Most Wanted television program
- tonight in the USA. See below information on how Playboy
- (yeah, right) financed this man's flight from arrest. Check out the AMW
- website at www.amw.com for a picture.
- ALEXANDER BORODULIN
- Age: 47 (D.O.B. 07-26-52)
- Sex: Male
- Race: White
- Height: 5'6"
- Weight: 130 lbs
- Eye Color: Brown
- Hair Color: Brown
- Scars: Unknown
- Tattoos: Unknown
- Alexander Borodulin is charged with the May 15, 1988 rape of a young
- model in Boston, Massachusetts. Borodulin allegedly drugged the girl
- while she was posing for him in his photography studio. When she lost
- consciousness, Borodulin raped her.
- On January 11, 1989, Borodulin was charged with the rape by a Suffolk
- County (Massachusetts) grand jury. When he failed to appear for trial on
- September 11, 1989, a warrant was issued for Borodulin's arrest.
- Three months after he was charged, Borodulin was hired by Playboy
- Magazine in April of 1989 to shoot a pictorial on women in Russia.
- Playboy was unaware of Borodulin's fugitive status, and unwittingly
- financed his escape from U.S. authorities. Borodulin may be associated
- with members of Russian organized crime in the United States and should
- be considered dangerous.